Worms are one of the most common health problems in pets, and all pets are at risk if not wormed regularly. If untreated worms can lead to loss of appetite, a lack of energy, vomiting and diarrhoea, and can be particularly debilitating for the very young or elderly pets. Regular worming not only helps keep pets healthy, but it reduces the risk of worms being passed on to humans, especially young children.
Keeping the family & pets protected
Worm pets regularly, especially where there are children in the family.
Always clean up after dogs. Roundworms from dog faeces can be transmitted to humans. Thankfully it’s not common, but in extreme cases it can lead to blindness.
Treat hunters and scavengers more frequently, particularly against tapeworms.
Keep pets free from fleas to reduce the risk of tapeworm that can be caught from fleas.
Be Lungworm aware. The lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) is a parasite that can cause serious health problems in dogs, and even be fatal if not diagnosed and treated in time. Slugs and snails carry the lungworm larvae and they can infect dogs if ingested. Small slugs and snails canbe ingested if dogs eat grass.
- Regular treatment should be considered if you frequently see slugs and snails in your area
- If your dog has swallowed a slug or snail, contact your vet, even if there are no symptoms.
Speak to one of our vets or vet nurses who will suggest a parasite prevention programme to keep your pet protected.
You may also be interested in